The Football Association of Zambia -FAZ- has appointed Beston Chambeshi as new Chipolopolo Head Coach on an interim basis.

Chambeshi who is the 2017 Under 20 AFCON winning Coach takes over from Serbian National Milutin Sredojevic who parted ways with Football House early this month.

The Nkana Coach will be assisted by Zesco United Head Coach Numba Mumamba who takes over from Oswald Mutapa.

FAZ has also appointed former Croatia National team and Lokomotiv Moscow Assistant Coach Aljosa Asanovic as Chipolopolo Technical Advisor.

The FAZ executive committee has made changes to the technical bench following a meeting held on July 24, 2021.

The Association has announced the interim changes to the technical bench in readiness of the 2022 Qatar World Cup qualifiers that commence in September.

The reconstituted bench will be in charge for three months and the FA states that they are confident that Chambeshi and Mumamba will deliver, looking at their track record.

FAZ has since expressed gratitude to Nkana and Zesco United football Clubs for allowing the duo to serve club and country as coaches for a short-term period.

The FA has also thanked the Croatian Football Association for allowing Asanovic to take up the appointment, away from his role at the Association where he serves as an instructor in the technical directorate in Croatia.

This is contained in a statement issued to ZNBC Sports News by FAZ Communications Manager Sydney Mungala.

Source: ZNBC Sports《》RT

Capital City giants Silver Strikers have reacted angrily after Super League of Malawi (Sulom) revised its fixture to allow Nyasa Big Bullets to travel to Tanzania for this year’s Cecafa Kagame Cup games.

Initially, Bullets were expected to host Silver at Kamuzu Stadium on Saturday but the game has been brought forward to Friday.

Silver Board Chairperson Victor Madhlopa accused Bullets of using the Cecafa tournament to run away from Super League title race pressure.

Capital City giants Silver Strikers have reacted angrily after Super League of Malawi (Sulom) revised its fixture to allow Nyasa Big Bullets to travel to Tanzania for this year’s Cecafa Kagame Cup games.

Initially, Bullets were expected to host Silver at Kamuzu Stadium on Saturday but the game has been brought forward to Friday.

Silver Board Chairperson Victor Madhlopa accused Bullets of using the Cecafa tournament to run away from Super League title race pressure.

“Changing fixtures to create space for them to go for friendlies does not make sense at all. We are, however, still going to beat them this Friday and not on Saturday as earlier planned,” he said.

Sources indicated that Football Association of Malawi (Fam) received an invitation from Cecafa on June 17 2021 but did not communicate to Sulom in time.

Officials from both Fam and Sulom did not pick our calls late in the evening Monday.

Earlier on, Sulom General Secretary Williams Banda said they were not blocking Bullets from taking part in Cecafa tournament but said rules had to be respected.

“Fam communicated Friday last week about the development and we asked them through an email about when they got the invitation. We have already dragged this league for so long due to national team assignments as well as the Covid pandemic,” Banda said.

Fam General Secretary Alfred Gunda, speaking earlier, hoped for an amicable solution.

“The issue is currently being handled by Sulom. Once the clearance is made, there will be a chance to make adjustments and also consider fixtures rescheduling,” he said.

Bullets Chief Executive Officer Suzgo Nyirenda said they expected to be exempted from both cup and league games ahead of the Cecafa games.

“We got this invitation through Fam who govern football in this country and we expect the same Fam to do the needful,” Nyirenda said.

However, sports analyst George Kaudza-Masina questioned the Fam handled the issue.

“Much as Bullets’ participation in the Cecafa tournament is important, Fam spoiled everything in the way it has handled this invitation. All international invitations are supposed to come through Fam but it is not under their mandate to clear a team.

“What Chiwembe (Fam) was supposed to have done was to pass on the invite to Sulom. Depending on their calendar, the impetus was on Sulom to clear Bullets to participate and not the way it has happened,” he said.

Kaudza-Masina advised Fam to know its jurisdiction on such matters and avoid being seen to be nice to Bullets at the expense of Silver and the league at large.

“Otherwise Sulom was at liberty not to clear Bullets and, technically, Fam has no powers to decide otherwise,” said the former Fam acting general secretary.

Bullets will take part in the Cecafa Kagame Cup as guests. The competition is slated for August 1 to 15 in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

The tournament will attract Young African Sports (Yanga), Azam FC (both from Tanzania), reigning champions Kampala Capital City Authority from Uganda, Uganda Premier League champions Express FC and Kenya champions Tusker.

Atlabara from South Sudan, APR from Rwanda, Burundi champions Massenger Ngozi FC and KMKM SC from Zanzibar have also confirmed their participation in the Cecafa Club Championship.

Meanwhile, the draw for the cup is expected today.

Source: Times Group《》RT

 

By Chansa Kunda

The Football Association of Zambia -FAZ- says it has received overwhelming interest from both local and international coaches aspiring for the Chipolopolo Head Coach Job.

FAZ General Secretary Adrian Kashala says the FA is on a daily basis receiving applications from individuals who want to take over from Serbian National Milutin Sredojevic who partied ways with the FA last week.

Kashala has told ZNBC Sports News that FAZ will do its best to hire a new Coach adding that all stakeholders must be patient prior to the announcement.

He said the Zambia Men’s Football team will start their World Cup Qualifiers preparations soon hence the need to appointment a coach quickly.

Kashala however indicated that once the committee responsible for tabling the matter seats they will announce to the nation who will be the new Chipolopolo head coach.

And 2012 AFCON winner Isaac Chansa has advised FAZ to select a Coach on merit.

Chansa said the country has a squad capable of Qualifying to the World Cup provided they gel adding that there is need for whoever will be appointed to sustain the current crop of players

The former Orlando Pirates midfielder has however challenged players called to the national team to work extra hard.

Source: ZNBC Sports《》RT

 

By Chansa Kunda

The Zambian Olympic team which will leave the country Saturday, July 17, 2021 for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic games has pledged to mint medals for the country.

Athletes from the Boxing, Judo and Swimming Associations will be part of the latest batch leaving the country after the departure of the Copper Queens early this week.

Boxers Stephen Zimba and Patrick Chiyemba have told ZNBC Sports News in Lusaka that their aim is to mint medals from the respective categories.

Both Zimba and Chiyemba are confident that they will make the country proud adding that despite not having enough exposure they are ready for the challenge ahead.

Boxing National Team Coach Wisdom Mudenda said the target is to have the boxers make it past the first round.

And Judoka Steven Mung'andu said his aim is to become the first Zambian judo Athlete to make it past the first round at the Olympics.

Meanwhile, National Judo Coach Moola Lipimile declared his Athlete ready and that the country should expect Mung'andu to advance to the other rounds.

The Tokyo Olympic games will start on July 23rd to August 8.

Source: ZNBC《》RT

World champion Lewis Hamilton has signed a new two-year deal with Mercedes until the end of 2023.

The Briton, 36, has won six of his seven world titles with the British-based German team since joining from McLaren in 2012.

 

This season Hamilton is contending for a record-breaking eighth championship but is currently second behind Red Bull's Max Verstappen.

"We still have a lot to achieve, both on and off the track," said Hamilton.

It is the earliest he has agreed a new deal with Mercedes for some years and will take his time at the team to at least 11 seasons and into the start of a major rules change next year.

The deal has come together quickly, in contrast to 2020, when the pandemic, a compressed season and then both Hamilton and team boss Toto Wolff contracting coronavirus delayed talks and Hamilton ended the year out of contract.

Hamilton did not agree a new one-year deal with the team for 2021 until February but has been saying since the start of this season that he expected to continue in F1 beyond this year, and began discussing the terms of his new contract with Wolff in May. The pair completed a deal within two months, underlining their desire to keep working together.

Hamilton has not taken a pay cut, contrary to some reports. After an adjustment in salary as a result of the pandemic this season, his earnings will be back to pre-Covid levels, when he was said to be earning as much as £40m a year.

The bond between the team and their driver has been strengthened by their support for his push for increased diversity and inclusion in the sport, which gathered momentum in the midst of the global outcry following the death of unarmed African-American George Floyd at the hands of US police last May.

Hamilton said: "I'm incredibly proud and grateful of how Mercedes has supported me in my drive to improve diversity and equality in our sport.

"They have held themselves accountable and made important strides in creating a more diverse team and inclusive environment."

Wolff said: "As we enter a new era of F1 from 2022 onwards, there can be no better driver to have in our team than Lewis.

"His achievements in this sport speak for themselves, and with his experience, speed and race-craft, he is at the peak of his powers.

"We are relishing the battle we have on our hands this year - and that's why we also wanted to agree this contract early, so we have no distractions from the competition on track.

"I have always said that as long as Lewis still possesses the fire for racing, he can continue as long as he wants."

Hamilton and Mercedes have dominated the sport since 2014 - his former team-mate Nico Rosberg is the only man to win a drivers' title other than the Briton since then.

Hamilton now has a record 100 pole positions and 98 grand prix wins but is facing a momentous challenge from Red Bull's Verstappen as he seeks to move himself clear of Michael Schumacher in terms of championship titles - Hamilton equalled the German's mark of seven last season.

There is no word from the team on the identity of his team-mate next season, with the seat between his current partner Valtteri Bottas and British rising star George Russell.

Wolff said he wanted to spend a bit more time observing the two drivers in F1 this season before making a final call.

Hamilton has said he sees no reason to change Bottas, but Russell starred on a one-off debut for Mercedes at the Sakhir Grand Prix last year when he stood in for Hamilton after the world champion contracted Covid-19.

Source: BBC《》RT

 

By Lyonike Mughogho

Flames international Frank ‘Gabadinho’ Mhango has conceded that his performance for Orlando Pirates in the 2020/2021 DSTV Premier Soccer League was below par.

Speaking to South Africa’s media recently, the former Bullets FC, Bloemfontein Celtic, Golden Arrows, and Bidvest Wits University forward said he did not reach his standards.

“If I were to rate my season out of 10, I’d give myself three or four because I didn’t reach my standards,” said Mhango.

The 28-year-old also said it is normal for footballers to drop and regain their respective forms.

“But at the end of the day it’s football. Sometimes you drop form and sometimes you do well,’ said Mhango.

Gaba managed to score only five league goals last season. His poor performance followed a golden boot glory in the 2019/2020 season when he scored 16.

The Malawian international is expected to regain his good form ahead of African Cup of Nations which will be staged in Cameroon next year. He is one of the Flames’ top strikers alongside Richard Mbulu.

Source: M24《》RT

 

Barcelona skipper Lionel Messi is officially a free agent following the expiration of his contract.

The Catalans were hopeful of signing Messi to renewal before the June 30 deadline but the 34-year-old is now officially unattached.

It is strongly believed that the Argentinian international will sign an extension with Barca with reports suggesting contract negotiations have since started.

Messi becomes a free agent amid interest from a number of clubs including Manchester City, and Paris Saint Germain.

Meanwhile, a few clubs, including Barcelona, can afford his salary and still follow Financial Fair Play.

At the beginning of the 2020/21 season, Messi expressed his desire to leave the Catalans but they would not allow him to leave as he was not a free agent.

He later resolved to stay albeit making a number of demands including beefing up the squad.

If Barca resign Messi, they will have to register him as a new signing and find a solution to fit him into the framework of La Liga’s financial regulations.

La Liga president Javier Tebas has already warned Barca that they must bring their wages down, or they won’t be able to register Messi ahead of the 2021-22 season.

Source: Pindula News; Goal.com《》RT

 

Everton have appointed former Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez as their new manager.

The 61-year-old Spaniard has signed a three-year deal and succeeds Carlo Ancelotti, who resigned in early June to return to Real Madrid.

Everton majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri described Benitez as a proven winner with huge experience and has expressed confidence that he will take the club to the top end of the league. He said:

Rafa impressed us greatly with his knowledge and experience but, above all, the passion and hunger he showed to join our club.

We are appointing Rafa because we believe he will bring success to our club and to Evertonians.

To put it simply – we need to be competing at the top end of the league and to be winning trophies.

Rafa is a proven winner with huge experience in coaching internationally and we have secured the best man to achieve that for us.

Benitez has a hugely impressive track record with the clubs he has managed throughout his career, securing seven major honours including La Liga titles, the Coppa Italia, the FA Cup, the Europa League and the Champions League during managerial spells in Spain, England and Italy.

Benitez last managed in the Premier League at Newcastle United before leaving in June 2019.

He moved to China to coach Dalian Professional FC and left them in January after 18 months in charge. Benitez said:

I am delighted to be joining Everton. Throughout this process, I have been greatly impressed by the ambition shown by the senior representatives at the Club and their desire to bring success to this historic Club.

I believe this is a Club that is going places. I’m determined to play a big part in helping this great Club achieve its ambitions.

Source: Evertonfc BBC Sport《》RT

Manchester United fans have been annoyed by Paul Pogba’s superb performance at the ongoing UEFA Euros asking why he can’t replicate the form at the club.

Pogba won the Man of The Match award when France clashed with Germany last night prompting fans to take to social media to question why their club-record signing seems like a man transformed when he plays for Les Blues.

The 28-year-old midfielder was integral to the move that led to the goal and was also involved in both Kylian Mbappe and Karim Benzema’s disallowed goals late on, as he helped control the game in the centre of the pitch.

His individual highlights package shows exactly why he was awarded the official ‘Star of the Match’ prize at the end of the game.

Commenting on Pogba’s performance, one Manchester United fan said:

you better play like this every damn match next season.

Some observers, however, believe Pogba’s performance at Manchester United is influenced by the players who surround him.

They believe that Chelsea’s midfield maestro, Ngolo Kante gives Pogba the freedom to move forward when they play for France while he is confined to a defensive role at Manchester.

Pogba confirmed that he is too restricted to a defensive role at United compared to how he plays in the French team. He told L’Equipe:

It’s true that at Juventus it was different from Manchester.

We were playing three in the middle, in a 5-3-2. I had the freedom, I had to be in the box, to attack. It was an obligation.
 
In Manchester, I have the freedom to go into the box, but the priority is to play, to defend.

In the France team, we play a 4-2-3-1 too. I’m a little more involved in the transition, in the construction. But I have more freedom than in Manchester to get into the box, to make runs forward.

At the same time, when you have Grizou [Antoine Griezmann], Kylian [Mbappe], you don’t want to enter their spaces, you don’t need to.

Pogba was a sensational attacking and goalscoring midfielder at Juventus prompting Manchester United to decide to resign him, for a record fee.

Source: Pindula News; Sportbile《》RT

Cristiano Ronaldo has become the all-time highest goalscorer in Euros history after scoring a brace for Portugal against Hungary in a delayed UEFA Euro 2020 tournament match played Tuesday.

Portugal won 3 nil thanks to a goal from Guerreiro and a brace from the Juventus star Ronaldo.

The brace makes Ronaldo the all-time highest goalscorer in the UEFA Euros history with 10 goals ahead of second-placed Michel Platini who has 9 goals while Alan Shearer is in the third position with 7.

This comes as his top “rival” Lionel Messi scored a free-kick against Chile in the Copa America underway in Brazil to become the player with the highest number of free-kick goals.

Messi now has 57 free-kick goals while Ronaldo has 56.

Source: Pindula News《》RT

Page 1 of 17
Ad Sidebar