Super User

Super User

We moderate the comments

A TOTAL of eight Karoi Town Council officials, including the chairperson, five councillors and two employees, have been arrested for corruptly allocating themselves properties.

They allegedly allocated themselves residential and commercial stands without following procedures, and awarded each other unapproved travelling and subsistence (T&S) allowances.

Town secretary, Wellington Mutikani, on suspension over other allegations was back in court facing four counts of unprocedurally allocating himself four residential stands.

He is also accused of awarding himself a tender between 2015 and 2021.Council chairperson, councillor Abel Matsika is also facing allegations of unlawfully allocating himself a residential stand. ExFive other Karoi councillors, Stewart Jena, Nicholas Murwira, Rangarirai Hungwe, Thomas Mbiri and Kenson Kamuponda were also arrested by the Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission (ZAAC) on allegations of unprocedurally awarding themselves unapproved T&S allowances.

The other accused, Hastings Makunda, an administration officer, also faces allegations of unlawfully allocating himself a residential stand.

All the accused appeared at Karoi Magistrates Court Thursday and Friday, and were released on bail with varying conditions each. Was

Source: New Zimbabwe

Cyril Ramaphosa: "We are deeply disappointed by the decision of several countries to prohibit travel."

South Africa's president has condemned travel bans enacted against his country and its neighbours over the new coronavirus variant Omicron.

Cyril Ramaphosa said he was "deeply disappointed" by the action, which he described as unjustified, and called for the bans to be urgently lifted.

The UK, EU and US are among those who have imposed travel bans.

Omicron has been classed as a "variant of concern". Early evidence suggests it has a higher re-infection risk.

The heavily mutated variant was detected in South Africa earlier this month and then reported to the World Health Organization (WHO) last Wednesday.

The variant is responsible for most of the infections found in South Africa's most populated province, Gauteng, over the last two weeks, and is now present in all other provinces in the country.

On Monday, Japan became the latest country to reinstate tough border restrictions, banning all foreigners from entering the country from 30 November.

The WHO has warned against countries hastily imposing travel curbs, saying they should look to a "risk-based and scientific approach". However, numerous bans have been introduced in recent days amid concerns over the variant.

WHO's Africa director Matshidiso Moeti said on Sunday: "With the Omicron variant now detected in several regions of the world, putting in place travel bans that target Africa attacks global solidarity."

 

In his speech on Sunday, Mr Ramaphosa said there was no scientific basis for the travel bans and that southern Africa was the victim of unfair discrimination.

He also argued that the bans would not be effective in preventing the spread of the variant.

"The only thing the prohibition on travel will do is to further damage the economies of the affected countries and undermine their ability to respond to, and recover from, the pandemic," he said.

He called on countries with bans in place to "urgently reverse their decisions... before any further damage is done to our economies".

Mr Ramaphosa described the emergence of the Omicron variant as a wake-up call for the world regarding vaccine inequality - warning that until everyone was vaccinated, more variants were inevitable.

There are no vaccine shortages in South Africa itself, and Mr Ramaphosa urged more people to get jabbed, saying that remained the best way to fight the virus.

A previous statement by the South African foreign ministry on Saturday also strongly criticised the travel bans, saying the country was being punished - instead of applauded - for discovering Omicron.

Omicron has now been detected in a number of countries around the world, including the UK, Germany, Australia and Israel.

 

Source: BBC

The government in Rwanda has announced new measures that include the suspension of flights to and from southern African countries.

All arriving passengers must have a negative test and do a repeat test on arrival and seven days after arriving into the country.

A seven-day quarantine has also been reintroduced for travellers coming from countries recently affected by the new waves.

All those attending gatherings like weddings and funerals must be fully vaccinated.

Following the government directives on travel, the national carrier Rwandair has halted services to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia:

Rwanda is the latest country to impose a travel ban to South Africa after a new coronavirus variant Omicron was detected in the country.

South Africa's President Cyril Ramaphosa said he was "deeply disappointed" by the bans against his country and neighbouring states where the variant has been detected.

Source: BBC

United Party for National Development (UPND) has said that it has not backtracked and will fulfill all campaign promises within the five years mandate. UPND Deputy Mobilization and strategy chairman Romeo Kangombe has charged that the previous regime had caused ‘Deep Economic damages to the country which require well-calculated strategies to be repaired.

“Sometimes if you want to jump high, you need to take a step back. UPND has not back tracked on its promises but the damage that was caused was deep. We need to stabilize the economy before we can finally settle. The economy was in ICU’ and we need to bring it back to life and some injections might pain a little bit but in the end we shall all rejoice. We have a five years mandate and trust me we shall deliver.” Said Romeo.

Kangombe who is also the Member of Parliament for Sesheke Constituency Said President Hakainde Hichilema has achieved so much in 100 days most of which the Patriotic Front (PF) failed to achieve in 10years.

“Those PF surrogates who yapping are jealous because UPND in 100 days has achieved what they failed to achieve in 10 years. In 10years PF failed to give the local authorities power to run markets and bus stations but UPND managed within hours of taking office. Today prices of goods and services have stabilized as opposed to previous days were prices were going up every day. President Hichilema has restored the image of our country globally and investor confidence has been boosted. The UPND has presented the best budget ever and PF surrogates are not happy. By end of next year, Zambia will never be the same again, we are headed for greatness” said the Sesheke lawmaker.

Kangombe has since advised youths and women to make sure they benefit from various government empowerment programs by registering cooperatives.

Source: Lusaka Times

The government has heightened measures aimed at averting the COVID-19 fourth wave by, among other things, restricting unvaccinated persons from accessing government buildings.

Health Minister, Silvia Masebo who announced the measures during a joint Covid 19 situation update yesterday, said the measures will come into effect on Tuesday, November 30th, 2021.

Ms. Masebo also announced that wearing masks in public places including bus stations and markets will be mandatory. The minister also announced that access to government buildings by anyone will require the production of a vaccine certificate.

Failure to wear a mask in a taxi or private vehicle will result in a fine of K250 and the owner of the vehicle will be fined K1,000
Social distancing should be followed.

The shopkeeper will be fined K2,500 for not wearing a mask in the shop, the shop owners will be fined K15,000 for not wearing a mask in the shop office, K20,000 fine for violating Covid rules in political meetings and programs.

Ms. Masebo said that it will be a requirement for civil and public service officers to be vaccinated for them to be admitted to work, but this will be done in consultation with Unions.

The Minister has said that all travellers coming from high-risk countries into Zambia will be quarantined for ten days at their own cost, while local authorities and the Zambia Police will continue with inspections for adherence to the Covid 19 guidelines.

And, Ms Maseba said the government will also roll out a national wide vaccination campaign that will target 2 million Zambians by Christmas Day.

And, Local Government Minister Gary Nkombo said that in the next 48 hours facilities will be provided to ensure that people have no excuse of not being vaccinated.

Mr Nkombo said in addition to observing the five golden rules all persons are required to mask up when entering the market and also bus stations.

And Information and Media Minister Chushi Kasanda said her ministry will ensure that vaccination points are made accessible for journalists.

Ms Kasanda said the ministry will ensure the right and factual information is given to the public over the Covid -19 pandemic.

Meanwhile, Transport and Logistics Minister, Frank Tayali said that it is imperative that Bus operators adhere to the Golden rules such as sanitizing their buses and even boarding passengers that are masked up.

Mr Tayali said that to ensure a smooth flow of Goods and Services, Screening at entry points will also be heightened.

Earlier, President Hakainde Hichilema directed the Ministry of Health to provide one million vaccines to all health care facilities countrywide.

President Hichilema has said that this is in view of the fourth wave which is coming. The President encouraged Zambians to get to the nearest health centre and get vaccinated this week.

President Hichilema said that getting vaccinated ensures those sick do not get severely sick with Covid -19 and can also help protect the people around, adding that it is time to protect the nation and that it has never been easier or safer to get vaccinated.

Source : Lusaka Times

A Kenyan lawyer has filed a petition challenging the health minister's directive to bar unvaccinated Kenyans from accessing basic services from 21 December.

It comes amid record turnout for vaccination in different parts of the country since the directive was made earlier this week.

People will have to be fully vaccinated to use public transport - including buses and domestic flights - or to enter hotels, bars, restaurants and game reserves, according to the directive.

But in the urgent case, Winfred Otieno Ochieng wants the implementation of the directive stopped temporarily until the matter is heard.

High court judge Anthony Mrima ordered that the petition be served by close of business on Thursday and further directions be given on Friday.

The health ministry is aiming to vaccinate 100,000 people every day in a bid to rapidly boost the vaccination rates.

On Tuesday, 103,506 Kenyans were vaccinated, the highest number in a single day since Kenya’s vaccination drive began. A total of 102,537 were vaccinated on Wednesday.

Source: BBC

Britain is halting all flights from South Africa and five other countries in the region in response to the discovery of a highly transmissible new coronavirus variant.

From midday GMT on Friday, direct flights from South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Lesotho and Eswatini will be suspended until further notice.

Announcing the restrictions, the British health secretary, Sajid Javid, said it was possible that current vaccines might be less effective against the heavily mutated variant.

No cases have been discovered in the UK.

South African experts say it had spread rapidly among students in Pretoria.

It's not clear whether the variant is more deadly than previous mutations.

Experts from the World Health Organization are due to meet South African officials on Friday.

Source: BBC

Police have charged and arrested former Petauke District Commissioner Ms VELENASI BANDA MOYO aged 44 of Petauke for one count of Abuse of Authority of office Contrary to Section 99.

Mrs MOYO is also jointly charged for Intent to Deceive Contrary to Section 344A(a) of CAP 87 with GOODSON  LUNGU aged 50 of Nyansimbo Village Chief Mwanjabantu Petauke a Patrotic Front Chairman for Kaumbwe Constituency.

In a statement issued to ZNBC News by Zambia Police Spokesperson RAE HAMOONGA , it is alleged that the duo, on a date unknown between 1st August and 30th September 2020,jointly and whilst acting together with others unknown, did aid more than One thousand under aged children ranging between five and 15 years to obtain National Registration Cards.

Mr HAMOONGA says the children subsequently obtained Voters cards.

He says the accused persons are currently in custody as Police await the accused to fulfill police bond conditions to be released.

Meanwhile Police has recorded a murder case involving EMMANUEL SEKESEKE aged 62 of Village Sekeseke, Chief SIKUFELE in Kabompo which occurred on 24th November, 2021 around 21:00 hours at Village Sazende in Kashima west Schemes area Chief Chizela in Mufumbw
District.

Mr HAMOONGA says the matter was reported on 24th November, 2021 at 23:00 hours by MASELA SEKESEKE aged 54 the sister to the deceased.

He said the deceased was shot twice by unknown people using unknown type of firearm and died on the spot.

Police have visited the scene of crime and found the deceased’s body lying in a pool of blood facing upward and the body has been deposited at Mufumbwe District Hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.

One AK47 rifle empty cartridge was picked from the scene of crime.

Police have launched a manhunt for the assailants and has warned those behind the heinous crime that they would be held accountable of their criminal acts.

 

Source: ZNBC

Over three hundred houses have been flooded in Chizhingezhinge and Kazomba areas of Solwezi District leaving hundreds of families homeless following yesterday’s heavy rains.

Houses which were built near water bodies were flooded after the stream burst its banks following yesterday’s heavy down pour.One of the flood victims, WATSON NJOVU has blamed the Solwezi Municipal Council for allocating him land near the stream.

Mr. NJOVU says the council should take responsibility for the damages that have been experienced in the area.

Another flood victim, KABAMBA MUJINYA has called for help from the Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit to come to his aid as all his food has been lost in the floods.
Meanwhile Solwezi District Administrative Officer ANTHONY FULWE says the local authority did not authorize the construction of most of the houses affected by the flooding.

Mr. FULWE says most of the houses were built without authority from the local authority and are substandard structures.
Speaking when he visited the flood victims in Kazomba, Mr. FULWE has advised the affected families to relocate so that the water levels reduce.

And in Kitwe Several houses and a one by two classroom block at Temweni Primary School  have had their roofs blown off following a heavy downpour.

The classroom block was commissioned two months ago.

A check at the school found several reading books for pupils soaked with desks damaged.

School head teacher WILLY KITA says a motor vehicle belonging to one of the teachers which was parked in front of the classrooms has also been damaged after roofing sheets fail on it.

Meanwhile in Choma district,TWENTY five families of Macha area  have been left homeless after a hailstorm damaged their houses with some roofs being blown off and structures collapsing.

Among the worst affected include Francis Davison Secondary school with roofs for some classrooms blown off.

District commissioner SIKALEYA GAMELA who visited the affected families has promised to submit a report on the incident to the relevant authorities.

 

Source: ZNBC

A total of six candidates, including incumbent Seidou Mbombo Njoya, have been approved by Fecafoot's electoral committee to stand in the polls on 11 December.

Another former international Jules Denis Onana is also eligible for the elections, however his 1990 World Cup team-mate Emmanuel Maboang Kessack was ruled out as he owes Fecafoot $7,600.

The other three names on the list of eligible candidates for president are Crepin Soter Nyamsi, Justin Tagouh and Zacharie Wandja.

One other person, Manuel Boyomo, has also been prevented from taking part in the polls because he failed to provide the required number of endorsement letters.

When Eto'o, 40, first announced his intentions in September it was amid controversy in Cameroon after candidates with dual nationality had been told they could not stand in the elections.

Eto'o, who also had spells with Inter Milan and Chelsea, was granted dual Spanish nationality during his time at Barcelona.

Source: BBC

Ad Sidebar