The new scheduling of the Fifa Club World Cup is "disrespectful" to Africa, according to former Egypt international Mido.

The world governing body's tournament was due to take place in December but is now set to be held from 3-12 February in the United Arab Emirates after original hosts Japan pulled out because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The revised dates clash with the culmination of the Africa Cup of Nations, which will see the continent's national champions decided in the final on 6 February in Cameroon.

Egyptians Al Ahly will be Africa's representatives in the UAE and could be without several players depending on their respective countries' progress at the Nations Cup.

"Fifa deciding to hold the Club World Cup while Afcon is going on is a sign of disrespect to African football," former Ajax and Tottenham striker Mido said on Twitter.

"It wouldn't have been the case with the Euros or Copa America."

The Club World Cup sees the winners of the continental cups in Fifa's six confederations, along with the UAE league champions, compete to become world club champions.

Al Ahly says its participation in the tournament will be impacted as the club expects to have "more than seven players" in the Egypt squad for the Nations Cup, along with three other internationals on duty in Cameroon.

The Cairo-based outfit will write official letters to the Egyptian FA, Nations Cup organisers Confederation of African Football and Fifa on Tuesday, requesting the three bodies "collaborate to resolve the clash of dates" between the two events.

Al Ahly, holders of the African Champions League, will face CF Monterrey of Mexico when they enter the Club World Cup in the second round, which is likely to take place on the same day as the Nations Cup final.

The winners of that match will play newly-crowned Copa Libertadores champions Palmeiras in the semi-finals, while European champions Chelsea take on either Al Hilal, Al Jazira or Auckland City in the other last-four tie.

The Blues may be missing goalkeeper Edouard Mendy and winger Hakim Ziyech if Senegal and Morocco respectively have good runs at the Nations Cup.

Source: BBC

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) president Nick Mwendwa has been charged with four counts of fraud by the country's Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).

The total amount of money Mwendwa and others, who were not in court, are accused of taking from FKF is just over Kshs 38 million - which is approximately $337,200.

Mwendwa, who has in the past denied any wrongdoing, was arraigned in court in Nairobi on Monday having spent the weekend in jail after his re-arrest on Friday.

He will spend another night behind bars, with a bail hearing set for Tuesday.

According to the police documents the offences took place between 4 March and 31 May this year.

Monday's court appearance comes two weeks after he was released on bail after a previous arrest.

Last Thursday the FKF announced the case against him was over as the court returned his Kshs 4 million (approximately $36,000) bail money.

However, the Kenyan police later clarified that it was not the fraud case which had been closed.

"It was only a miscellaneous application by police to have Mwendwa remanded in police custody for a longer period of 14 days to enable completion of investigation before being charged formally," Kenyan police spokesperson Bruno Shioso told BBC Sport Africa.

It meant that the DCI continued its investigations and eventually arrested him for a second time, with Mwendwa now being formally charged with corruption.

Source: BBC

Chelsea's Senegalese goalkeeper Edouard Mendy is confident he can win the Lev Yashin award for Europe's best goalkeeper when the Ballon d'Or gala takes place on Monday night.

The 29-year-old is one of the ten goalkeepers in contention for the prize, with only Paris Saint-Germain's European Championship-winner Gianluigi Donnarumma up for the main Ballon d'Or trophy itself.

Nonetheless, Mendy - who won the Champions League in May - believes he can become the second man to win an award introduced in 2019 by Ballon d'Or organisers.

"Of course I think I can win it," Mendy told BBC Sport Africa.

"[If I do win it] I think it would be something I would have deserved. It's something I have worked hard to get, so it would be a great pride given my journey."

Unemployed seven years ago, the prospect of such a fairytale feat is propelled by Mendy's statistics since joining Chelsea in September 2020.

He has registered 23 clean sheets in 43 Premier League games, conceding 30 goals.

Mendy has fared even better in the Champions League, conceding four times in 17 games, with 13 clean sheets recorded and a winner's medal to boot.

In his first season, he registered a joint-record nine clean sheets, so earning him Uefa's goalkeeper of the 2020-21 season award.

Source: BBC

A total of six candidates, including incumbent Seidou Mbombo Njoya, have been approved by Fecafoot's electoral committee to stand in the polls on 11 December.

Another former international Jules Denis Onana is also eligible for the elections, however his 1990 World Cup team-mate Emmanuel Maboang Kessack was ruled out as he owes Fecafoot $7,600.

The other three names on the list of eligible candidates for president are Crepin Soter Nyamsi, Justin Tagouh and Zacharie Wandja.

One other person, Manuel Boyomo, has also been prevented from taking part in the polls because he failed to provide the required number of endorsement letters.

When Eto'o, 40, first announced his intentions in September it was amid controversy in Cameroon after candidates with dual nationality had been told they could not stand in the elections.

Eto'o, who also had spells with Inter Milan and Chelsea, was granted dual Spanish nationality during his time at Barcelona.

Source: BBC

PRESIDENT Emmerson Mnangagwa says the government is committed to ensuring parity between male and female sport.

He was speaking at Harare Sports Club where he officially opened the International Cricket Council Women’s World Cup qualifiers which kicked off this Sunday.

Nine countries, the United States of America, Thailand, Bangladesh, Pakistan, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Ireland, the Netherlands and hosts Zimbabwe are vying for the three remaining slots at the International Cricket Council (ICC) women’s World Cup slated for New Zealand next year.

While officially welcoming all the teams to Zimbabwe, President Emmerson Mnangagwa emphasised the Second Republic’s thrust on sports.

“There hasn’t been enough support for women’s sport, under my leadership we are committed to raising the bar and making them at par with their males. The professionalisation of women’s sports and the closure of the gender gap on money gained is what we aim for and
equal pay for work of equal value,” said President Mnangagwa.

Zimbabwe Cricket is satisfied that cricket is playing its part in the country’s re-engagement drive.

” It is not every day that you have more than 200 international cricketers at one point, we should take the opportunity to not only market Zimbabwe but also use it to mend diplomatic relations, we had English County sides in Zimbabwe and we also went to Ireland and Scotland recently showing the pier of sport.”

The International Cricket Council is equally confident of Zimbabwe capability of hosting such a big tournament.

“The past few weeks in Zimbabwe have shown us how good the teams hosting capacity is like, we got help when we needed it and it’s no wonder it’s been chosen to host the 2027 world cup,” said Sally Higgins, International Cricket Council Events Manager.

The qualifiers which will run until the fifth of next month, are being played at four different venues in Harare, namely Harare Sports Club, Old Harteams, Takashinga and Sunrises Cricket clubs.

This is the first time Zimbabwe is hosting the women’s global qualifiers after hosting the African qualifiers in 2019.

The country is also poised to co-host the men’s fifty over the world cup with South Africa and Namibia in 2027.

Source: ZBC News

LeBron James has been suspended for one match for the first time in his career after clashing with Isaiah Stewart as the Los Angeles Lakers beat the Detroit Pistons on Sunday night.

The pair clashed as LA came from 17 points down to win 121-116.

James and Stewart were both ejected for their roles in the fracas - only the second time in James' 19-year NBA career he's been ejected from a game.

Stewart will miss two games for his role in the clash.

The incident happened in the third quarter. LA's James appeared to strike Pistons centre Stewart in the face as they battled for a rebound, leaving him with a large cut near his right eye.

Stewart then repeatedly had to be held back by team-mates and coaching staff as he tried to retaliate.

Both were then ejected from the game after an official review.

On Monday the NBA said Stewart was suspended for "escalating" the incident and "repeatedly and aggressively" pursuing James. James was handed his suspension for "recklessly hitting Stewart in the face" and "initiating" the altercation.

James will serve his suspension on Tuesday when the Lakers travel to play the New York Knicks.

"Everyone in the league knows LeBron's not a dirty guy," said James' Lakers team-mate Anthony Davis after the game. "In fact, when he knew he hit him, as soon as he did it, he looked back at him like, 'Oh, my bad. I didn't try to do it'."

"It was a tough play with Isaiah," said Pistons coach Dwane Casey. "His eye got cracked all the way open and he was upset for a reason. I don't think James is a dirty player, but again, it got them going."

Davis top-scored for the Lakers with 30 points and Russell Westbrook added 26 as the Lakers came back from 17 points down in the second half.

Source: BBC

Football fans in South Africa have proposed Pitso Mosimane - one of the country's top coaches - to take up the role at English club Manchester United.

After a string of poor performances, the Premier League club sacked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer over the weekend and launched a search for a high-profile manager to turn things around.

Several top coaches have been linked to the vacancy but according to South African tweeters there's only one man for the job.

A photoshopped picture of Mosimane wearing a Manchester United-branded jacket has been shared by several tweeters.

One of them went a step further to match-make - tagging the coach's and the club's accounts.

Mosimane currently manages top Egyptian side Al Ahly.

Last year, he led the side to win a second African Champions League and the team later impressed in the Fifa Club World Cup, reaching the semi-finals.

The 57-year-old previously had great success in the South African league with Mamelodi Sundowns, guiding them to a maiden Champions League win in 2016 as well as five league titles.

It does make you wonder what Manchester United are waiting for...

Source: BBC

Jacob Kiplimo won the World Half Marathon Championship title in 2020 and took Olympic bronze in the 10,000m this year

Uganda's Jacob Kiplimo has set a new world record for the half marathon, shaving one second off the previous best time.

The 21-year-old clocked 57 minutes 31 seconds as he won the Lisbon Half Marathon road race on Sunday.

Kiplimo, who won bronze in the 10,000m at the Tokyo Olympics this year, broke the previous record set by Kenya's Kibiwott Kandie in Valencia in 2020.

Kiplimo looked set for a sub-57 minute finish when he reached the 15km mark at 40:27.

But he still won the race by more than two minutes, with Ethiopia's Esa Huseyidin Mohamed second in 59:39.

Source: BBC SPORTS

Manchester United have approached Zinedine Zidane about becoming their manager but, according to sources close to the former Real Madrid boss, he is not interested in going to Old Trafford at this point.

Ole Gunnar Soskjaer was sacked by United on Sunday after Saturday's 4-1 defeat at Watford.

Zidane ended his second spell as Real manager in May this year.

He won three consecutive Champions League titles with the club from 2016.

After leaving in 2018, he returned a year later and won La Liga and the Spanish Super Cup in 2020.

The same sources have said legendary former France and Real midfielder Zidane, who is out of work, would not be keen on a move to United right now.

He has been linked with the French national side and Paris St-Germain, and would prefer to consider those options when or if they become available.

Mauricio Pochettino, who has regularly been spoken of as a future United boss, is the current manager of PSG, who have full confidence in the Argentine and have made no movements to replace him with Zidane.

Source: BBC Sports

Manchester United have sacked manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer following Saturday’s 4-1 defeat at Watford.

The club have won just one of their past seven Premier League matches and are seventh in the table, 12 points behind leaders Chelsea.

First-team coach Michael Carrick has been placed in temporary charge before United’s Champions League trip to Villarreal on Tuesday.

“It is with regret that we have reached this difficult decision,” United said.

“While the past few weeks have been disappointing, they should not obscure all the work he has done over the past three years to rebuild the foundations for long-term success.

“Ole leaves with our sincerest thanks for his tireless efforts as manager and our very best wishes for the future.

“His place in the club’s history will always be secure, not just for his story as a player, but as a great man and a manager who gave us many great moments. He will forever be welcome back at Old Trafford as part of the Manchester United family.

“Michael Carrick will now take charge of the team for forthcoming games, while the club looks to appoint an interim manager to the end of the season.”

After the Villarreal trip, United face league games against Chelsea and Arsenal.

Solskjaer, 48, replaced Jose Mourinho on an interim basis in December 2018.

The Norwegian was then given the job full-time in March 2019 on a three-year deal and, in July, signed a new deal with the club until 2024.

Source: ZBC News